Improve your quality of life, exercise tolerance and reduce your shortness of breath in this 8-week medical fitness program Take control of your health with a workshop designed to help Manitobans with ongoing health conditions. Others living with health issues who understand the challenges of managing symptoms, medications and health care needs, lead these workshops. Build your confidence to manage better through group support and discussion of topics such as healthy eating, physical activity, communication and pain management. This program will help you to become more informed and develop skills to better self-manage your condition.
The program has been shown to result in the following positive participant outcomes:
- Increased functional capacity
- Improved health-related quality of life
- Decreased symptoms
- Increased mental health
- Increased confidence in managing lung disease
In the program you will learn about:
- Your respiratory condition;
- Recognizing and understanding your body’s warning signals;
- Effectively taking inhaled medications (puffers);
- Lung irritants and chest infections;
- The importance of regular exercise;
- Different breathing techniques;
- Better conserving your energy;
- Oxygen therapy;
- Nutrition and pulmonary illness; and
- Recognizing and coping with stress.
An initial intake assessment is done before you start the program. A respiratory therapist and physiotherapist assess your respiratory condition and level of exercise. All sessions are delivered in a group setting with a maximum of 16 clients per group.
Talk to your doctor to register. Internet-based home program available.