An education and supervised exercise program for people with cardiovascular disease and recovering from heart attack, stents, peripheral artery disease, heart failure or irregular heart rhythms.
Cardiac Rehabilitation can be delivered directly to the home through a virtual, internet-based program.
The program has been shown to result in the following positive participant outcomes:
- improvements in psychological health
- reduction in cholesterol levels
- reduction in waist girth
- increases in fitness and functional capacity
Who Should Take the Cardiac Rehab Program?
Cardiac rehabilitation can help people of all ages and with many forms of heart disease. If you’ve had a heart attack or heart surgery, or if you have another heart condition, ask your doctor about joining a cardiac rehabilitation program. In particular, you may benefit if your medical history includes:
- Heart attack
- Coronary artery disease
- Heart failure
- Certain congenital heart diseases
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Valve replacements
- Certain arrhythmias
- Peripheral artery disease
Older adults can feel confident in knowing our programs and facility are accessible and safe. Our expert support staff will make sure your program is appropriate for your health and fitness requirements.
What Participants are Saying …
- “Cardiac Rehabilitation has been life changing for me in terms of being present to my body and attending to its needs. I have felt a slow and steady improvement that has given me more energy than I’ve had in years.”
- “The Cardiac Rehab program has reinforced what I knew to be important prior to my heart attack and it has helped to motivate me to keep focused on my personal health goals. I have returned to full time work, but instead of fitting my exercise into my day, I am fitting the rest of my day around my exercise.”
- “This is a great program. My husband feels so much better since he started exercising. I find it helps your state-of-mind. He doesn’t like exercise but he is anxious to get better and stronger.”
- “Cardiac Rehabilitation has made me realize how important exercising your heart really is. It was helpful for me because I have stopped smoking (4 months), eat less salt and red meat, and understand that the heart is the most useful muscle.”
- “I spent my birthday in the hospital having a quadruple heart bypass,” remembers Sam. “They gave me a 50% chance of survival. It’s a good thing I’m stubborn!” Two months later, Sam joined the Cardiac Rehabilitation program. “It’s a fantastic program – unbelievable. I listened to what they told me and lost 20-25 pounds. I feel better than I ever did. My doctor tells me I’m in better shape than most 55 year olds. This just improves your outlook on life.””
Please call 204-632-3907 to learn more about the program or to register.
Additional information about the Cardiac Rehabilitation program is available by reading the Cardiac Rehabilitation Winnipeg Region Annual Report 2019-20.